Our little baby boy was born on April 8th at 5:48 p.m. He weighed in at 6 pounds 2 ounces and he was 19 inches long. He's our little peanut! He's got James wonderful features and long fingers like his mom! His name is Grant James Killpack and he was born on Grandpa Killpack's birthday! He's also our brave little boy. He had a hard time getting started. On his 7th day with us he started to have seizures. We were already in the hospital because of his jaundice situation ( a blessing in disguise) and the nurse was feeding him at 10:30 at night and he had a seizure which lasted about 40 seconds. At about 12:30 he had another one and this time I was awake to see 3 doctors and two nurses crowd around my newborn and just look at him with these worried looks on their faces. It was frightening! The nurse told me what happened, and even told me to go back to sleep! How on earth was I supposed to sleep when my baby was seizing? I called James and told him what was happening. The nurses were so good and called the doctor on call and he came right down and took a look. Then another two hours later, my little baby had another seizure this one lasting longer than a minute. He stopped breathing and the nurse tried to call a code blue to pediatrics, but the phone didn't work. Luckily, he started to breathe again on his own, and the doctor decided to put him on some seizing medicine, and they also did a CT scan which came back normal. I called James and he came down to the hospital. The doctor arranged for us to be life flighted (Grant and I) to Denver Children's Hospital. James took our car and drove down. He got a good hour start ahead of the Life Flight, so I was only by myself for a half an hour at the hospital. When I saw the huge bed they had to put him in, it was so overwhelming and I couldn't believe this was happening to us! I'm one of those people who have to know exactly what to expect. When I had Grant, I had to see the labor room, the mirrors, and the lights, and I had to take a class all beforehand, so I wouldn't freak out. Seeing the huge seethrough bed and my little baby in it, was so much to handle. I look back now and wonder how on earth I ever sat there and watched all of this without losing it. Then I remember also, that James gave Grant and I a blessing that would both be strong to handle the flight and the upcoming events ahead, and that is exactly how I was able to go through all this. Anyway, this happened on a Wednesday morning. The people at the Children's Hospital were all waiting for James and I when we arrived. They told us where we could stay, we met with the doctors and heard all they had to say so far about the situation (they were going to perform lots of lab work and tests), they completely oriented us to the hospital and were so nice! On Thursday, James and I were lucky to have my mom come up to the hospital to see Grant for the first time. So not how I wanted to introduce everyone to my newborn, but I was so glad my family came to see us! They were there when the doctors told us about Grant's MRI results and what happened to cause the seizures. What happened was that Grant had a stroke when he was being born, sometime in the birth canal. The MRI showed a blood clot which had formed on his brain which caused the stroke, and eventually led to the seizures. He is still on seizure medication and will go back for a follow up appointment in 3 months.
We are so blessed to have our little boy with us. James and I are so thankful that we are finally home with him, and we are finally getting into a routine. He's finally been home longer than he has been in the hospital! Every day is such a fun treat to be home with our little miracle baby boy! Thank you everyone for your prayers and thoughts! They have truly seen us through!
Hmmmmm.... lets see.....:)
16 years ago



5 comments:
Jaime I'm so glad to know everything is okay now! I'm so sorry you had to go through such a hard experience at first. You have a beautiful little boy!
YEAHHH! An updated post! Glad to see this little guy is growing and healthy now. I am dying to hold him and meet him in person.
This is from mom.
Thanks for writing all of that down and sharing it with us. We are so thankful that little boy is here and OK. Looking forward to being with you guys in a few days.
I had to wipe tears from my eyes! I'm so glad he is safe at home with his mommy and daddy! What a beautiful blessing.
Um. More pictures please for those of us who do not live in a close proximity to this miracle child. Hook up that camera girl!!!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment